screen resolution

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 04:50:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 16:29 +1300, chris wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running an asus p4 with an nvidia graphics card, and 2 gig of ram.
> This is a back up machine that I have configured with Ubuntu 10.4.2.
>
> It is dual boot with windows xp
>
> Under ubuntu, I can not get a higher screen resolution than 1040x768.
>
> I am using a viewsonic lcd screen with a native resolution of 1600x1200.
>
> Nothing I have tried, googled, or downloaded in the way of nvidia
> drivers will allow a higher resolution
> Any ideas thoughts etc greatly appreciated
>
> Chris
The trick with the Nvidia X-Server Settings application is on the second
tab (X Server Display Configuration), to write out the new configuration
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It's obscure and I missed it myself for some
time. You can adjust and play with the setup to your heart's content,
but no changes are permanent until you manually save them by clicking on
"Save to X Configuration File". I guess that's a good thing, in case you
chose a setting that blows everything up. You wouldn't save it and a
reboot would recover to the previous state. Hope this helps. Ric

Linux user# 44256