firefox 3.6.15 ubuntu

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Mon Mar 21 22:35:15 UTC 2011

On 21/03/11 19:31, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/20/2011 01:08 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> On 20/03/11 15:16, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>> Cybe,
>> THanks for your answer. The app was in the subject line and I forgot to
>> repeat it, sorry for that.
>> The app is Firefox and I don't want another directory but I want the
>> list of applications to be used as e.g. in nautilus is shown (and what
>> the manual of firefox promises). Most however I miss the possibility to
>> change the default behaviour of the applications menu.
>> Joep
>
> I _think_ that Cybe was asking what application type? The program is
> Firefox, you are trying the change the 'Application' as in
> Edit|Preferences|Applications in Firefox.
>
> Those 'Applications' typically are set on first run and picked up from
> your mime settings. They should also change if you've changed the
> default opening program in Nautilus. For example 'MPEG Video' may have
> 'Use Movie Player (default)' as the default. In Nautilus I can change
> that to use VLC as the default&  FF _should_ pick up the change.
>
> However, sometimes the mime file gets corrupted. You can change modify
> directly in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<default profile>/mimeTypes.rdf - just
> open that in gedit and edit. You can also simply rename/mv the file and
> let FF rebuild a new one on restart.

Jerry,
Thanks for your answer.
I'm sorry I haven't been very lucid in my questions.
I don't have ant problem with the helper applications for any
extensions. My problem is that:
1. I cannot change the default helper as it always uses Virus Scanner as
it's default application which of course is ridiculous on a Linux system
(but I have clamav installed as I'm paranoid).
2. It doesn't come - as does nautilus - with a list of other helper
applications but shows my home directory.
I think both actions are not what is expected and moreover in nautilus
it works correctly.
Greetings,
Joep