Dual monitors using DVI / VGA ports on motherboard

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:10:23 UTC 2011

Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi

I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?

Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
outputs?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen