firefox 3.6.15 ubuntu

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun Mar 20 20:08:56 UTC 2011

On 20/03/11 15:16, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:43:34 +0100
> "Joep L. Blom"<jlblom at neuroweave.nl>  wrote:
>
>> I have a annoying problem in firefox 3.6.15 in Lucid Lynx where the
>> default application cannot be changed. Formerly there was a button
>> "Edit" in Edit->  Preferences->Applications where the default
>> application could be changed.
>> Now it uses for some unknown reason 'Virus Scanner' as the default
>> application which is completely useless where I would like to see
>> gedit. Moreover, formerly, when you pressed the button other in the
>> opening dialog where you can choose the default application, when you
>> chose "other" it gave the list of other applications. Now it opens
>> the users home directory (which of course is useless for choosing an
>> application). I hope somebody can clarify this as it is a great
>> annoyance. Joep
>
> You don't say the app for which you wish to change the default but I
> think that's OK.  When you open the dialog for the app's default and
> choose, "use other," it takes you to the last directory you had open.
> Change that directory with the available controls by choosing the
> little backward-facing arrow at the top by your home directory.
> Click it enough (twice should be enough if you are in your user
> directory already) and the / file system shows up. Navigate thusly to
> whatever directory has your preferred app and choose it.
>
> HTH
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
Cybe,
THanks for your answer. The app was in the subject line and I forgot to
repeat it, sorry for that.
The app is Firefox and I don't want another directory but I want the
list of applications to be used as e.g. in nautilus is shown (and what
the manual of firefox promises). Most however I miss the possibility to
change the default behaviour of the applications menu.
Joep