nVidia proprietary drivers leaves PC ususable

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Mar 20 04:54:52 UTC 2011

On 03/20/2011 12:02 AM, Sebi Kul wrote:
> Hi all!

/snip/

> I wanted to know why this is happening. I tried everything I know to
> fix what was causing this issue, regenerate the
> xorg.conf(nvidia-xconfig), remove nouveau when installing the
> proprietary driver, but nothing solved it.
> **Please note that I can't get to nvidia-settings, as I can not boot
> using the nVidia driver (hence, I can't configure it).
>
> I also cant debug anything, I don't know where to look or what to look
> on the logs. I can't get to a login prompt before or after this
> screen, it appears too fast, and when it does, all I can do is reboot
/snip/

What if you boot on a live CD, then you should be able to look at (and
if necessary, edit) the files in the installed system.
I haven't had reason to try this, but doesn't it work?  (I don't know if
there's an editor on the live CD., or if you could
access the editor on the HD.)  Just a thought.  Maybe the mavins know.

--doug