nVidia proprietary drivers leaves PC ususable

Sebi Kul sebikul at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 04:31:40 UTC 2011

On Sun 20 Mar 2011 01:18:55 AM ART, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 20/03/2011 15:02, Sebi Kul wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> For a better understanding I will separate my problem in two
>> fragments, both of which converge with the same problem.
>>
>> The first time I had this problem was a couple of months ago (while
>> using Ubuntu 10.10), when upgrading the nVidia proprietary driver
>> using the "~ubuntu-x-swat" ppa.
>
> Why did you do that? Why not use the System>Administration>Additional
> Drivers (like you did below for Natty)? The [recommended] nVidia driver
> installed this way works very well.
>
> [pruned]
>
>> The second time this happened was a few days ago, when I upgraded to
>> Natty (clean install). As usual, I installed the propietary drivers
>> using jockey (known as "additional drivers"). I had two optios,
>> nouveau or the propietary one. I of course chose the last one, to get
>> the best out of my video card.
>> When I booted, I encountered my pc unusable. As I did last time, I
>> started a fail-safe X session, removed the nVidia proprietary driver,
>> and installed nouveau, just to be able to use my PC.
>
> Natty has not yet been released and therefore the nVidia driver has not
> yet been provided by nVidia for Natty. You'll have to use the nouveau
> driver for now.
>
> BC

My problem is not with Maverick, it's with Natty (where I am using the
official drivers). I have no problem waiting, but this is happening in
both versions (at least for me), and it just feels strange. The Xorg
version available on Ubuntu 10.10 (<1.10) is still causing this
"error", but if i update, this screen appears. (Although the
incompatibility comes from Xorg >=1.10.

Anyway, I updated to the latest driver on Ubuntu 10.10 to debug 0.A.D