Virtualization without extensions?

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 20:23:58 UTC 2011

On 03/17/2011 09:12 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>> My server is still running 9.10, so it looks like I could build
>> rebuild qemu from source and enable kqemu, but that defeats my purpose.
>
> I don't understand the details there, but it reminds me of an
> advantage of compiling your own qemu: it is possible to have more than
> one version on your computer at the same time. So one can test a new
> version without disturbing existing VMs. One can migrate VMs one at a
> time. (Simple shutdown-restart migration in this case, no fancy
> live-migration.)
>
>> There is a comment at the top of that page that suggests that qemu
>> would run without either kvm or kqemu -- just that it would run
>> poorly. Since I am just interested in testing some web apps, poor
>> performance might not be much of an issue. Any thought on that?
>
> I think performance is orders of magnitude slower to emulate
> instructions one-by-one without kqemu. Qemu is impressive in that mode
> (typical Android development is to run Arm code emulated in an x86
> qemu...it does work...eventually), but there are limits, it is not fast.

Interesting stuff .  Thanks for the lesson!

>> I suppose my other alternative would be to do my testing in a VM
>> under VirtualBox on my desktop.
>
> You get the equivalent of kqemu with Virtualbox. (Also as a module,
> like kqemu.)

Yes, but I have to run it on a machine with a GUI, precluding the
server.  I'd wanted to use the server because I can allocate more
resources to the VM with no realistic impact on performance.  But given
what I need to do, the desktop machine will work ok.

Thanks again for helping me puzzle through this.