installer does not find a network - but a live system does ... wtf?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 15 23:51:14 UTC 2011

On 03/15/2011 02:17 PM, Andi Meier wrote:
> Hi NoOp,
>
> thanks for the links! Anyway, although this is interesting stuff, I
> don't think this can help me with my particular problem. In my other
> post (15.03.2011 20:49) I described that one time the command "ifup
> etho0" is not able to connect to the network and the next time (a
> few seconds later) it is.
>
> AFAICS there is some "special" problem I'm facing which does not seem
> to be described in any document/forum I have searched so far -
> including the (interesting) pages you have pointed me to.
>
> My latest guess is a hardware issue, but I would really love to hear
> what you guys out there think. Maybe I'm missing something?

Can you provide the output of:
$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
$ ifconfig -a
$ hostname
$ sudo dhclient eth0
$ route -n
$ sudo apt-get install ethtool
$ sudo ethtool eth0

I know that you know networking, but sometimes having other eyes look at
them may help. Also, failing dhcp, perhaps it might be easier to
configure for a static IP for the time being.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/network-configuration.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/dhclient.8.html