Moving Swap file

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 14:00:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:00, Andy Graybeal
<andy.graybeal at casanueva.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to move our swap file onto our RAID array.

Might I ask why you'd want to do this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily trying to dissuade you from
doing so, but in general, you shouldn't really see any benefit to
moving swap onto an external RAID enclosure, at least not enough
benefit to make it worthwhile.

If you're using only a little swap, then you'd be better off looking
into performance tuning and such.  If you're using swap space
constantly, then it's probably time to look into either improving the
hardware (more ram predominately) or getting a new server and
offsetting some of the work.  Swap space is fine to use, but it's
incredibly slow when your system has to start swapping memory pages on
and off disk, and so, IMHO, in a production system it's better in the
long term to solve the problem of why you're hitting swap to begin
with.

But that's just my opinion.

As for your actual question... are buddleia and data two separate
LVMs?  ANd how much swap do you have right now?  (running the Free
command will show this)

So I'm getting back to the "Do you even need to worry about it" question.

Cheers,

Jeff