service utility with Ubuntu 10.04 does not work properly when used to restart network

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:13:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ok I checked
>>> /etc/network/interfaces
>>>
>>> auto lo
>>> iface lo inet loopback
>>>
>>> only above lines are there.
>>
>> It appears the Network Manager Gnome does not lets you function properly.
>> http://osdir.com/ml/ubuntu-users/2009-11/msg03490.html
>
> "Properly" doesn't make sense!
>
> When you want to restart smbd, do you restart nfsd and expect smbd to
> have been restarted?!
>
> If you're using NM and want to restart the network service, use
> "/etc/init/network-manager.conf".

I am not very clear with what is active on my system.
On Red Hat based systems I used to do service networking restart and
hence I did the same here also.

> If you're using "/etc/network/interfaces" and want to restart the
> network service, use "/etc/init/networking.conf".

How do I determine which one is in use.

After your message I did

 /etc/init.d/network-interface restart

Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service network-interface restart

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the restart(8) utility, e.g. restart
network-interface
start: Unknown parameter: INTERFACE

and then I also tried

service network-interface restart
restart: Unknown parameter: INTERFACE

then following command seems to disconnect
service network-manager restart
and this is found to work.
But service networking restart does not work.
What is the difference between two and is there an
elegant way for this situation to find out what was active rather than
restarting network-*