GRUB 2 vs. framebuffer

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sat Mar 12 10:26:29 UTC 2011

Le 12/03/2011 10:37, Tom H a écrit :

> 788=800x600 so set
> GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=800x600
> GRUB_TERMINAL=gfxterm
> in "/etc/default/grub" and run "update-grub".

Thanks! Your suggestion *almost* worked. I fiddled around a bit and had
to add the following option:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

Now I wonder how I could possibly display all boot messages properly. I
removed the "quiet" option for a start. Is there a way I can get my
Ubuntu server to boot like, say, a FreeBSD, Gentoo or Arch machine, with
all the stuff that happens at boot time (think: RAID arrays, services,
etc.) neatly displayed one after another and not only flashing by for
the fraction of a second?

Cheers,

Niki