Ubuntu with Unity versus Kubuntu with KDE

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Mar 11 01:13:49 UTC 2011

On 03/10/2011 08:08 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:BC
/snip/
>> I suppose that I'll get flamed for mentioning another distro here,
>> but the implementation of KDE 4.4.x or 4.5.x (I'm not sure what we
>> have today)
>> on PCLINUXOS is very nice, not like Kubuntu, which I also looked at
>> very briefly 8 or 9 months ago. That version of Kubuntu made me puke.
>> You should remember that the purveyors of Ubuntu/Kubuntu have a
>> philosophical agenda of making the product look as little like MS
>> Windows
>> as they possibly can, whether it's usable or not. (That's not just my
>> opinion: it has been mentioned before in this list a number of times.)
>> I've been running PCLOS since about last June, and just got a fairly
>> extensive upgrade a week or so ago. (It's a rolling distro.) Nothing
>> major
>> seems to have changed. If you're unhappy here, take a look at that.
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> I'm very happy with Ubuntu - it's just that all the talk about Unity
> has me a bit concerned (although the story goes that the "classic"
> Gnome will still be available (but for how long?).
>
> Anyway, I went to have a look at PCLinux and....... not totally
> impressed mainly because the latest release was last December and it
> seems to be using a kernel version which has long been progressed to
> x.36.x and not the x.33. PCLOS is using.
>
> (To add to all this, my ISP seems to be having some hassles as my
> download speed has dropped to just over dial-up speed and I wasn't
> prepared to download the ~700MB of PCLOS at this speed :-( . I'll see
> what happens after next Sunday when the ISP has put thru some upgrades
> at my local exchange.)
>
> BC PCLIn

I just checked the KDE version for my updated PCLOS:****Platform version
4.6.1 (4.6.1)
And I checked  uname -a for this latest PCLOS: 2.6.33.7-pclos6.bfs #1
SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 21 22:42:28 CDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

For whatever it's worth, this KDE version as implemented here seems to
work about the same as KDE 4.4.5, which I originally had.  You're right
about the kernel version.  I don't know what difference this would make
to anybody.  What do they do to the kernel to "improve" it?  And
_does_ it?

--doug