Installation?

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:36:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM, David Curtis <dave.c.curtis at gmail.com> wrote:
:

> Swap is always recommended as linux optimises RAM use with it, regardless of
> how much RAM you have.

Swap space is used for anonymous memory (i.e., that which does not
already map to a file) when the system needs more than you have.  If
you never use more memory than you have physically available,
technically you do not need swap space.  If you have 32GB of memory
and never use more than 4GB of it (and you don't hibernate your
machine), you do not need swap space.

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Interesting article about what swap is used for, but I didn't see any
blanket "always" recommendation for swap there.

However, I agree that a swap space (partition or file) at least the
same size as memory is good, double better.  It really depends on how
you use memory (and disk) and how much you have, as I said up front.