Mounting an External USB Hard Drive

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Wed Mar 9 14:38:29 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have an external USB Hard Drive connected to my desktop running Ubuntu
Lucid. I want this hard drive to be available all the time (I rearly take it
with me). I added the following line in the '/etc/fstab' file, followin
advice I got via this list:

UUID=4c881181-6b15-4910-a09f-0f3c88354440 /Data  ext3
rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks 0 0

It worked fine for a long time, but lately I started to notice the disk is
not mounted when I try to access files on it. Sometimes running 'sudo mount
/Data' is enough, but sometimes I get an error saying the UUID does not
exist...

It usually happens after a long time I don't use the computer (more than 30
minutes). I have set my screen saver to 'Picture Folder' and that folder is
a symlink to a directory on that disk, so it's been accessed all the time...

Is the hard drive faulty?
Is there a system check I can run to verify?
Where do I look for clues?

Thanks!

Amichai.