Which version of Sun Java have I got?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:17:40 UTC 2011

On 8 March 2011 21:59, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 8 March 2011 21:29, Alan Pope <popey at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On 8 March 2011 21:11, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> In another thread it was pointed out that we should be using Sun Java
>>> 6.24 rather than 20 as this had security issues.  When I type
>>> java -version
>>> I get
>>> java version "1.6.0_20"
>>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7) (6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1)
>>> OpenJDK Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)
>>>

>> That's openjdk, not the Sun build.
>
> Stupid boy, why don't I read what I am posting.
>

>>> But when I do
>>> sudo apt-cache policy sun-java6-jre (or bin or jdk or whatever)
>>> I get
>>> sun-java6-jre:
>>>  Installed: 6.24-1build0.10.10.1
>>
>> That's the Sun one.
>>
>> So you have both installed but you have your system default set to the
>> OpenJDK one.
>>
>> If you would like to switch to have the default being Sun JVM then see
>> this page:-
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
>>
>> Specifically the section titled 'Choosing the default Java to use'
>
> OK, I have switched to the Sun one so now java -version shows
> java version "1.6.0_24"
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
> as it should.
>
> The only issue now is why jEdit, on its help about says (and did say
> before setting the default to Sun
> jEdit 4.4pre1 using Sun Java 1.6.0_20
> which is what confused me in the first place.  I think that is a
> question for the jEdit list though.

For the record I have got to the bottom of this.  Obviously at some
point I installed the openjdk version and had it selected as the
default.  The first confusion was that jEdit on its Help > About page
says that it using Sun Java even when it is using openjdk (which also
came from Sun apparently) so that I did not realise that I was using
the wrong one.  The second was that somehow I was invoking jEdit via a
script that explicitly selected the openjdk version, though how that
came about I have no idea.  Having changed that then all is well.

Thanks again all for the help.

Colin