[LibreOffice] Re: nautilus + terminal

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 9 00:28:26 UTC 2011

On 03/08/2011 04:12 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Not for a while. I began to have problems with it so I uninstalled.

Installing from the deb won't interfere with your (U)OOo. It will
install in the /opt directory and you can run it in parallel with (U)OOo
- meaning you can have both open at the same time.

Download the debs from:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
(be sure to download the help deb as well).

Go to where you downloaded the .gz and in Nautilus right-click on the
.gz(s) and select 'Extract Here'. That will extract to
/home/<user>/LibO_3.3.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US
and
/home/<user>/LibO_3.3.1rc2_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-US

Now that Johnny has set us straight; right-click on the DEBS folder in
the right window pane and select 'Open in Terminal' (or you can just
open a terminal and cd to the path:
/home/<user>/LibO_3.3.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS

Once there:

$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Go up one folder to
LibO_3.3.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration
and do the same:

$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Then go to the help debs and install those:
/LibO_3.3.1rc2_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-US/DEBS

$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

You will now find the LO menus in Applications|Office

You can open LO and use. You can also open your standard (U)OOo and use
at the same time to compare the differences etc.

Note that *neither* will interfere with the other if you install as
above. When you wish to uninstall you can either use dpkg, or use
Synaptic to uninstall. HTH