Which version of Sun Java have I got?

Scott Davies code-poet at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:24:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

I think your confusion is regarding the difference between the JDK and the
JRE.

The JDK (Java Development Kit) is the SDK.  By the looks of things, you
have JDK 1.6, revision or patch 20.

The JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is needed only for running Java code,
like in a client environment.  By the looks of things, you have JRE 6 with
revision or patch 24.

When you are developing and compiling code, the JDK will use javac version
1.6.20.

In this case, you'll want to update both.

Cheers,

Scott