Ubuntu with Unity versus Kubuntu with KDE

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 8 18:44:21 UTC 2011

On 03/07/2011 11:40 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 01:25:28 -0600
> "Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> In my VirtualBox 11.04 Unity I just opened LibreOffice and the monitor
>> settings program.  The Monitor Preferences program has a huge pink,
>> "Unknown," for the monitor.  That's strange but OK, but it also puts
>> it on the menu bar as a pink rectangle that says, Unknown," which is
>> just as helpful as Hell, especially as it is placed over the, "File,"
>> part of the menu bar and refuses to allow my access to same:
>> http://img3.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity.png/
>>
>> Cybe
>
> I must admit that it was Nubbily Narwal alpha 1.  Here is the same deal
> with alpha 2:
> http://img94.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity2.png/

As Alan mentioned, file a bug: ubuntu-bug gnome-control-center
You were actually using the Gnome desktop. Here's a screenshot using the
Unity desktop:
http://img855.imageshack.us/i/screenshot5.png/
[click on the image to enlarge]
Now here's an excercise for you; log out & log back in selecting the
'Ubuntu Desktop Edition' (Unity) desktop. Now, repeat & let me know how
long it takes you to figure out how to do the screenshot without using
the Prtsc key - use the 'Applications|Accessories|Take a Screenshot' as
you would in gnome.