dosbox vs. wine

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 8 17:15:00 UTC 2011

On 03/07/2011 10:24 PM, Doug wrote:
> For general purpose use--not games--which program is better, in these
> respects:  handles more DOS programs; more easily accessible to
> peripherals, like diskdrives, including floppies; less complicated to
> get working; less complicated to use.  Would either one run Win 95 or
> Win 98,
> if required?  (And if I could still find the disks!)  Comments solicited
> on the questions I forgot to ask.  (No, don't ask "why."  The answer is
> technical programs that have no Linux counterpart.)

I've found dosemu to work quite well for my old Digger game. I've both
dosemu and dosbox installed & found dosemu simple & easy to use (for my
purpose).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSEMU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines

Easiest way to find out is to just install them & try.