Scripts won't run at boot

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:26:35 UTC 2011

I have a short script that I use to run other scripts:
#!/bin/bash
/path/to/executable
/path/to/anotherExecutable

I need this script to run at boot. So I placed it in /etc/init.d and
made it executable. However, it doesn't run! This on an Ubuntu 10.04
machine. I tested on my own Kubuntu 10.10 machine, and it too doesn't
run! Googling around I've read about how to turn it into a service and
run it but that is a workaround: How does one have scripts run in
modern Ubuntu? The fine manual [1] suggests that being in /etc/init.d
(and being obviously executable) would be enough.

Note that I also tried running this command that I found on some blog
in the hopes that it would help, but it expects the script to be
written as a service:
update-rc.d myScriptName defaults

Thanks in advance for any information.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBootupHowto