chmod and chown recursion (sudo)

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 01:37:05 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 5:55 AM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 06:06:37 -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
>>
>> The umask bits are modifying the results when you do not specify the
>> leading ugo flags.  I suspect root's umask is different than your own
>> umask.  See the man page for details.  This should work if you really
>> want to make the file tree readable and writable by everyone:
>>
>> sudo chmod -R ugo+rw  FaceletsEssentials
>
> I'll check the doc's, thanks.  I'm not familiar with umask.  Here are the
> results of that command, which doesn't quite accomplish what I'd hoped
> for:

The umask is not involved when you do a chown or chmod.  The problem
you are seeing is because ugo+rw does not give you execute (search)
permission on the directories.  This is the correct command:

sudo chmod -R 777 <your directory here>

If that doesn't work, you may have other file or file system
corruption problems.