nautilus + terminal

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Mon Mar 7 01:00:39 UTC 2011

(2011/03/07 7:42), Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 11:53 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 02:29:26PM +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:
>>
>>            .........snip.........
>>
>>> I wonder how you installed LibreOffice?  It is not available in the
>>> current version of Ubuntu so you can only install it from a source like
>>> LibreOffice itself.  This means that the instructions you are given do
>>> not necessarily come from Ubuntu.
>> Then why is it in my 10.04 synaptic? I have no repos in my sources.list
>> file other than Ubuntu ones. BTW, I installed it from the Ubuntu repos
>> and later uninstalled it.
>>
> That is interesting! Its not in the 10.10 repos. If what you say is
> true, then it must be down to the new policy of including more upgrades,
> as well as bug fixes, in the LTS versions.
>
> If the OP was using 10.04 then, they would have be able to do a simple
> install from synaptic (or even Ubuntu Software Centre).
>
> Tony

Thank you all.
Installation of LibreOffice was not really soo difficult. I did that on
one machine running 10.04 and one 10.10.
I downloaded the file from the official website, unpacked that file
someplace and then had to run this "dpkg" command. (according to the
instructions for installing LO for Ubuntu).

The problem/nuisance (to my taste) is just that I have to "change
directory".
In a terminal I have to type $ cd
goes on forever.
Being able to simply right-click on a certain folder and run the "dpkg"
command seems a lot easier to me  ... and being basically lazy I would
prefer the "easy way".
I will try the extension later in the day.