Can't figure out how to make this query

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sun Mar 6 04:24:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 03:23:41AM +0000, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I just changed my motherboard and the new video controller is an ATI
> RADEON, but I was using NVidia before.
>
> Without re-installing Ubuntu, what do I need to do to change the
> initrd (and xorg.conf) so that it will come up with the right video
> configuration?

And what's happening now?  Does X fail to start, or does it fall back to
VESA or something?

You need to

  (1) remove the proprietary NVidia driver, because it replaces
      certain system libraries (libGL, IIRC) and makes them incompatible
      with other video drivers.

  (2) make sure your new video card is supported.

For (1), if you can currently start X, go to System -> Administration ->
Hardware drivers and disable the NVidia driver.  If you can't currently
start X, log into a text console and do something like

  sudo jockey-text --list
    (see the name of the enabled driver)
  sudo jockey-text --disable=NVidia

For (2), well, basically try a LiveCD session.

Marius Gedminas
--
This is an object-oriented system.  If we change anything, the users object.