REISUB versus ctrl-alt-del

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sun Mar 6 04:16:32 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:46:11AM +0000, Thufir Hawat wrote:
> I know that it's possible to enable ctrl-alt-del to kill X Windows, buy
> what was the rationale for getting rid of it?

Too easy to hit by accident.  I've done that myself.  Twice.

> REISUB is such overkill for the most common problems -- which can be
> solved by either killing X or logging out!
>
> Is there nothing, enabled by default, less drastic than REISUB?

Alt+SysRq+K (kill all processes running on this virtual console) is the
closest thing to the old Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (kill X).

I've had to use it once, and it worked fine for me (Intel video with
kernel modesetting).  IIRC upstart then restarted gdm for me, so I
got a new login screen automatically.

Marius Gedminas
--
How much net work could a network work, if a network could net work?