Setting up IPv6 tunnel, having trouble with the GUI part

Harry Strongburg harry.ubuntu at harry.lu
Sun Mar 6 02:51:42 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:45:58PM -0700, Nathaniel Homier wrote:
> Ok, so here's my problem.  I signed up for a tunnel and used this how to
> located here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IPv6#Get%20connected%20with%
> 20Hurricane%20Electric
>
> Editing the interfaces file was easy enough I think.  The interfaces
> files ask for IP adresses like so 3501:470:1f04:1a82::1/64 Do I leave in
> the slash / and 64 or do I remove them like so 3501:470:1f04:1a82::1
> (fake IP addresses by the way)

I assume you are using the Fremont tunnel-server (72.52.104.74), based
on the IP it gave you.

Try something like this:
auto he-ipv6
iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
   netmask 64
   ttt 64
   endpoint 72.52.104.74
   up ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6 metric 1
   post-up ip -6 addr add AddressInYourRouted64/128 dev he-ipv6

Replace 72.52.104.74 with whatever tserv you are using ("Server IPv4
address" on he.net), and AddressInYourRouted64 with any address in your
"Routed /64" on he.net. You can simply copy the address it gives you,
append a "1" after the ::, top it off with a /128, and it should work
the next time you reload your interfaces file.

> Second, the how to talks about the GUI part about network manager.  The
> how to talks about two separate addresses.  One for the machines IP and
> a gateway IP.  In network manager on the IPv6 tab there is no gateway
> option, no box for inputting a gateway.  Also as above do I leave in the
> slash or remove it.

I don't know, as I don't use Ubuntu's network manager. If you set it
through the interfaces file, I don't think you will need to even touch
that anymore. I don't know why that guide is confusing people with using
the network manager when it should save properly in the interfaces
file...

I highly suggest reading up more about IPv6 address blocks and how they
differ from IPv4's, whenever you have free time; it will help a lot.

And for the record, no one really cares what your IP is, and censoring
it simply makes it harder for us to help with your problem. Both yours
and NoOp's censoring failed in some places. Though I like how you
censored out the static 2001:470 part instead of the endpoint... :)

HTH.