REISUB versus ctrl-alt-del

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 04:28:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that it's possible to enable ctrl-alt-del to kill X Windows, buy
> what was the rationale for getting rid of it?
>
> REISUB is such overkill for the most common problems -- which can be
> solved by either killing X or logging out!
>
> Is there nothing, enabled by default, less drastic than REISUB?

You're confusing ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-del.

The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent
anyone from using it by mistake.

The second is to reboot and AFAIK it's enabled by default and can be
disabled through the BIOS.