USB Directconnect cable - unable to get it to work

Ian Coetzee ubuntu at iancoetzee.za.net
Fri Mar 4 07:54:23 UTC 2011

Hi Nils,

Thanks for the response, see my answers below.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Ian Coetzee wrote:

<SNIP>

> From the syslog excerpt it looks like the device creates a virtual CD
> drive on both machines as soon as you connect the second one. Then
> Windows autoloads a driver / application from that CD to configure the
> network between the machines. You could have a look at that virtual CD
> but I don't think there is anything for Linux included on it.

Something I forgot to add to my post, The virtual CD drive created
lists files for Windows and Mac, but not Linux.

>As you
> googled already without success, I would assume it is a Windows-only
> solution. Maybe you should ask the vendor and/or manufacturer for a
> Linux driver.

This is my next port of call.

>As an alternative you could sponsor such a device to
> someone involved in kernel development in the hope that they would write
> a network driver for it.

Could you suggest someone for me (or a place to find them)?

>> I was actually hoping that I can use this device as a "network" link
>> between the two devices, so I do not have to do my synergy'ing [2]
>> over a wireless connection the whole time [which as you can guess is
>> VERY slow]
>
> Can't you use a standard ethernet cable instead of the wireless link? A
> gigabit ethernet link should be even much faster than the USB cable.

Unfortunately that will not be possible, as on my table I only have
one network point. So I have to connect one laptop to cable, and the
other to wireless.

I cannot connect both to the wireless because the HP uses a broadcom
chipset, and connecting that one to the wireless makes it unusably
slow ( < 1 KiB/s max download ).

I could possibly try using internet connection sharing, but then that
will break my SMB sharing to the server :(.

But the main reason is that I just want to be otherwise.

At the moment I am running my synergy via a switch, but thats only
temporary, until they take the switch away :).

Regards
Ian