Script to connect to internet at bootup

Edwards, Todd - McClatchy Interactive tedwards at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Fri Mar 4 02:36:43 UTC 2011

A crontab utilizing @reboot is probablly what I would use since its a simple one liner.

Sent from my mobile.

Olivier Cailloux <olivier.cailloux at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello list,

In the building where I live we have a bit of a "special" Internet
access, i.e. we need to authenticate on an Internet page at a given URL.
This is a simple HTML POST. It must be done at about each boot up. I
have no idea how the network "knows" that I rebooted my computer, but
apparently it knows as if I don't re-authenticate I have no Internet
access. Anyway, that's not the point.

I'd like to have a script that authenticates me each time I (re)boot.
Writing the script is not a problem: just a curl command. However, I
wonder how to set up my system so that the script is run at every boot,
and at the correct time, e.g. the DNS service must be loaded otherwise
curl simply fails. Currently I have put the script in /etc/profiles.d/,
but it often ends up being run too soon. I'd like to find some clean
solution, in line with the usual administrator best practices. The
script should be set up system wide, not for my personal use only. Maybe
that involves adding the script to init.d and set up the dependencies
right? Is there an alternative way that would be considered cleaner (or
simpler)? If that is indeed the way to go, which exactly is the
dependency? (I should be able to state that the script must be run "only
when the network is ready", but I don't know what that exactly means wrt
the available services.) Also, how to turn a simple one-line command
into an init.d script? I can copy a daemon file from an other service
and tweak it for my usage but 1) it seems unneedingly complex compared
to the fact that what I want to run is a simple command; 2) these are
daemon startup scripts, where a lot of options do not make sense for my
simple script (e.g. my script can't be "stopped" or "restarted", only
being "run").

Any reference to a tutorial on that subject or advices would be appreciated.
Olivier