New kernel won't boot

Frank McCormick fmccormick at videotron.ca
Thu Mar 3 17:30:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 15:48:06 +0000
Alan Pope <popey at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 3 March 2011 15:17, Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca> wrote:
> >   I took your advice and installed it - it complained that the kernel
> > source wasn't installed. Does anyone know the proper name for the
> > source for the current kernel ? And how do I get DKMS to re-run after
> > it is installed ?
> >

> It shouldn't need the kernel source, just the headers. The DKMS
> package pulls them in automatically.

  When I installed it just complained the "kernel source" was
not installed.

  After I found and installed source and headers it compiled the
wrong module...(193 something something) so I was no further ahead.

> You're not using the nVidia driver from nvidia.com are you?

   I was yes. I guess I should have removed it??
  Seems to me even with DKMS this is more complicated than
I'd like :)

--
Cheers