Connection Problems with newly purchased and ubuntu installed system

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Mar 3 09:12:45 UTC 2011

On 03/03/11 02:06, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Jay Ridgley<jridgley2 at austin.rr.com>  wrote:
> :
>>
>> I am using dhcp to connect but a connection is not granted. What is the
>> problem or where should I start looking to discover the reason why?
>>

> It might help if we had some clue as to what your configuration looked like....

Jay,
Have you considered using Leaf firewall?
  http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
It is a dedicated system with an extremely small footprint.
<quote>
LEAF Bering-uClibc 4.0 beta2 released
  As of today the second beta of Bering-uClibc 4.0 is availabe for
download. It contains kernel and package updates and bugfixes for beta1.
Most notable changes are:
         * The Linux kernel has been updated to 2.6.35.10
         * busybox has been updated to 1.18.2
         * Introducing shorewall-lite and shorewall6-lite
<quote\>

You can use it on a very small 32-bit system.
I use an old K6 (AMD) processor in a disk-less and processor-fan-less
system with 48 MB memory.
This is more than sufficient to control a network with 5 systems an
ipsec tunnel, sometimes rather heavy internet traffic with download
speed > 1 MB.
I have it running for over 8 years and really forget that it is there.
I must confess I still use version 2.1 (linux 2.4.32 32-bit) and
actually have not felt the need to upgrade. As you mention shorewall
setting it up will be familiar. It has a special ssh server (dropbear),
a lean version of dnsmasq (dns-server) and several other necessary
utilities. It can be remotely controlled so it can be installed screen-
and keyboard-less.
Just my suggestion,
Joep