Recent netbooks with Solid State Drives?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Mar 2 18:13:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 10:09:14AM -0600, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 03/02/2011 09:43 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >I wouldn't call an EeePC 900 "recent".
> >
> >I've got an EeePC 900 and the SSDs it came with (4 GB + 16 GB) were very
> >disappointing.  As in: terribly slow.  And unreliable: one died after a
> >year of use (replaced under warranty), the other died after two years
> >and a bit (just out of warranty).  Firefox was unbearable on it
> >(remember the sqlite fsync issues on ext3?).  Chromium is fine.
> >
> >The EeePC itself is still in use as a home media PC, driving a 1080p TV
> >with no problem (Compiz is amazing).  Except it can't play 720p or
> >better movies due to insufficient CPU power (900 MHz Celeron).
>
> I realize everyones experience can be different but I have a couple
> questions.
>
> What operating system does your use?

Ubuntu 10.10.

> As far as I know all the Eee's came with Atom processors.

You learn something new every day ;)

EeePC 901 has Atom, EeePC 700/701 and 900 had a Celeron.  You can check
Wikipedia, if you wish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC#Eee_900_series

> The Atom
> processors were definitely limited in their high end capabilities.
> You say yours has a Celeron????

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 13
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor          900MHz
stepping	: 8
cpu MHz		: 900.116
cache size	: 512 KB

Marius Gedminas
--
Funny, I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with a statement
containing both "lambda" and "more readable" ;^)