Natty 11.04 - nearly like 10.10!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 19:53:56 UTC 2011

On 27 June 2011 09:41, Stephen Kuhn <yank.down.under at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 03:19 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>> > This gives you a strong aroma of neophobia & as such not someone I'd
>> > trust to run my systems, I \have to tell you.
>>
>> Damn Stephen, there it is. You got told! I'd be weeping in my oatmeal.
>> And, you're King Cnut'ish as well. Damn... a public service announcement
>> from Liam over your personal preference for the old style gnome desktop.
>> Well, I wouldn't let you near my system either, I happen to prefer KDE3.
>> Oh hell, I'll have to go shoot myself now. :) Ric
>
> Well, if I constantly and consistently deliver something that, for
> nearly the past ten years, looks exactly the same, um, from a stupid
> end-user perspective, am I not doing what I promised in the beginning?
> Ha. Stick that in yer "progressive" pipe and smoke it! ;)

I have no idea what you promised. If you promised consistency, then
the users should be on LTS releases & none of this is an issue.

If you promised to help people run Ubuntu, then you are doing them a
grave disservice if you give them some hand-rolled custom setup that
is unlike anything else out there, because if you get run over by a
bus tomorrow, nobody else will be able to support it... And if they
install their own machines, or use someone else's, they will be lost
because it won't be like the standard system.

This is a lesson I learned myself, over the same time in the same
business as you, and it was hard. You stick to the defaults unless you
have a *damned* good reason. "I don't like the new look" is *not* a
damned good reason, it's a lousy one.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com