Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jun 30 08:14:38 UTC 2011

On 30 June 2011 08:55, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:
>> Uhm, Unity was not released in 11.04, Unity has been around for a
>> while. Ever heard of Ubuntu netbook?
>>

> Er, s/Unity was released on 11\.04/11.04 was released with unity as the
> default DE/

Unity existed as the default DE in 10.10 Netbook Edition. So if we're
splitting hairs here then it did exist before 11.04 and was released
before 11.04. However it was somewhat re-written in 11.04 as a compiz
plugin (where in 10.10 it was mutter based).

> You knew what I meant, though?

I think there is some pedantry and lack of clarity in this thread. :)

The fact remains that Unity based on compiz in 11.04 is built upon
GNOME 2.x libs. Unity in 11.10 is (to be) based on GNOME 3.x libs. In
11.10 it is (in theory, it's not out yet remember) going to be
possible to remove Unity and install GNOME Shell as the user interface
of choice. However as Unity is the 'blessed' desktop of choice for the
Ubuntu project I see 'making unity work well' as a higher priority
than 'shipping a default GNOME experience'.

Al.