video card recommendation ? - UPDATE

Roy Strachan rdstrac at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 30 01:08:11 UTC 2011

[snip]

So I select 'Run Ubuntu in low-graphics mode for just one session'.
Then go in to synaptics package manager and select some likely looking
nvidia packages (based on what I see in my 8.04 LTS installed package
list).  I chose:

nvidia-kernel-common
nvidia-settings
nvidia-current

nvidia-current requires the following:
dkms
fakeroot
patch

Applied the packages, removed Live CD, and rebooted.  I get a brief,
partial screen, Ubuntu splash panel, then black.  Won't even boot to
Live CD now.  HELP!

TIA,
Bill

I just checked and in addition I have nvidia-173-modaliases,
nvidia-96-modaliases and nvidia-current-modaliases installed. (I'm using
10.04 LTS) I'm not sure if they're all needed, but none seem to hurt
anything.  You may be able to get in by holding down the shift key when
rebooting, which should yield a menu with all the different kernels that
have been installed on your system (and haven't been removed).  Select
the top recovery mode line which is for the -in use- kernel.  That
should take you to a menu with a few options.  Select netroot (shell
prompt with networking) to get a command line.  If that doesn't work
your present kernel installation may be broken, try a previously install
kernel (recovery mode) if you have one.  If you get a command line you
can use apt-get to install the additional packages.

caveat - This works in 10.04, don't know about 8.04. :o(