video card recommendation ? - UPDATE

Bill Walton bwalton.im at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 23:08:49 UTC 2011

Hi Doug,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 06:28 PM, Bill Walton wrote:
>>
>> Uh oh....
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Bill Walton<bwalton.im at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Applied the packages, removed Live CD, and rebooted.  I get a brief,
>>> partial screen, Ubuntu splash panel, then black.  Won't even boot to
>>> Live CD now.  HELP!
>>
>> I now have an explanation re: why I can't boot to Live CD anymore.
>> Enter Setup on boot.  Check Boot Sequence.  Whatever else applying the
>> packages did, the system now sees the CD as not present.  Anybody know
>> how to fix this?  Links?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill
>>
> Normally there is an entry in the BIOS, that determines the boot sequence.
> Something must have changed this.  Go to the BIOS setup (usually either F2
> or the Del key right after switch on) and adjust the boot sequence so your
> CD boots first, before hard disk. It seems strange, but I guess not
> impossible,
> that something you did affected the BIOS.  Since that's the first thing
> the computer sees when you switch on--not anything on the hard drive--
> that's where the problem has to be.

Yes.  Something in the package install changed the BIOS settings.
Unfortunately it is not possible to simply change the Boot Sequence.
The CD device is, according to BIOS as reflected in the Boot Sequence
screen, no longer present in the system.  BIOS doesn't see it at all.
It is listed at the top of the device listing with a "(not present)"
tag next to it.  I have no idea what to do to restore the setting so
that BIOS again sees the CD drive.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill