Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 00:44:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 17:39 -0400, Jesse Palser wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 05:29 PM, compdoc wrote:
> >> I'm looking for the best Linux Operating System to replace
> >> Ubuntu. Anyone have any suggestions?
> > There's really only 2 desktop OSes out there worth messing with: Ubuntu and
> > Fedora. Both are experimenting with alternative desktops.
> >
> > I use Ubuntu for my servers, so if that's what you're going for, Centos is a
> > great alternative. Someday, they'll even release Centos 6 - maybe in time
> > for Christmas...
> >
> jHi,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I'm downloading Centos 5 LiveCD now
> and will install it into a VirtualBox VM afterwards
> to try and evaluate it.

It's the Penguin with brass knucks. Chicago style. Just consider it Red
Hat, with installing Sun/Oracle Java and your nasty bad proprietary
video drivers from their sources, and fooling around with the feuding
repos they have to get mp3's to play. But, for just a straight up
server, it'll do well. Ric

Linux user# 44256