Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

Avi lists at avi.co
Mon Jun 27 21:56:23 UTC 2011

Jesse Palser wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> The design direction of Ubuntu
> is not agreeing with my stomach.

The design direction is much the same as it has been for a while, this
is perhaps a rather larger step than previous ones, though.

> I'm on Ubuntu 11.04 64Bit now with classic gnome 2.3.
> I absolutely hate Unity desktop and Gnome 3 about the same.

Then you need a distro that's sticking with Gnome 2.x - many will be
moving to Gnome 3 since Gnome 2 development has ended. Debian is the
first that comes to mind, and it's still got most of the utilities
Ubuntu ships with. Any other relatively stable distro will probably do
(Scientific Linux?), too.

> I think many have left Ubuntu for other distrobutions.

I think many have said they will, but there do still seem to be many
left to noisily complain about it :)

> Just wondering what other people use and recommend.

I use a mix of Ubuntu (with Unity) and Debian Squeeze (with Gnome 2.x).
I'd recommend Ubuntu for modernity, Debian for unchangingness.

--
Avi