Installing Snort

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Mon Jun 27 08:46:46 UTC 2011

Hi!

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:

> Gilles Gravier wrote:
>
>> Explain "unrecoverable"?
>>

> Well, perhaps not quite unrecoverable, but the difference in fun following,
> say, a power failure on a MyISAM table versus an InnoDB one leads me to
> always suggest MyISAM.
>
> Wasn't there supposed to be a new storage engine by about now that fixes
> all the performance penalties associated with MyISAM without the
> automatic-embuggery of data that comes with Innodb?

That's the point of a transactionnal engine. In case of power failure, you
just roll back the transaction journal and you are set. Same with a
journaling file system like ZFS, EXT3, EXT4, REISER-FS.

Using InnoDB is a good way to survive what would kill an ISAM file when
things go wrong...

Gilles.

--
Gilles Gravier - Gilles at Gravier.org