Natty 11.04 - nearly like 10.10!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 12:05:57 UTC 2011

On 22 June 2011 20:27, Stephen Kuhn <yank.down.under at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 18:03 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> [1] You might not like Unity, but should you not give your customers
>> their own choice? I mean, I like Unity just fine, myself, & I'm a
>> Linux power-user, on Ubuntu since the first release, a Linux user
>> since before KDE 1.0 & a Unix user for about 23yr.
>
> I'm the BOFH and they're merely migrated MS Windows users. Choice? No.
> It's a "working system that is simple" that they get. End of story. I'm
> not going to rant on about anything else, being an IT consultant since
> 1986.

Yeah, well, me too, since '88, so you have, ooh, 2y on me.

But the customer gets what they want - *from the list of what I think
is suitable for them* and am willing to support. One thing I have
learned over nearly 25y in this business is that maintainability is
paramount. Custom setups that are very nonstandard are not
maintainable. It is best to stick as closely as possible to defaults &
what comes out of the box. Move stuff, change it around, and only you
can support it. This sounds good but it amounts to vendor lock-in. Bad
for your customers, which in the long run is bad for you. Annoyed
customers leave.

>> [2] You *do* realise that GNOME 2 is end-of-life & is disappearing
>> from Ubuntu as of the next version? By 12.04 you won't have the choice
>> of removing Unity and "going back" to GNOME 2 - it will be gone
>> forever.
>
> (Didn't realise I sound *that* stupid)

Well, er, what can I say...?

You sound, if anything, like King Cnut.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut

> Gnome3 will be installed and stripped/ripped of GnomeShell, Unity will
> *NOT* be used or even considered for clients. At least it's possible to
> tweak Gnome3 to act nearly like Gnome2. This gives me a long term
> solution - until at least 2016.

This gives you a strong aroma of neophobia & as such not someone I'd
trust to run my systems, I \have to tell you.

Good technologists are not afraid of change or of new tech. They don't
rush into it, but neither do they shun it.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com