Natty 11.04 - nearly like 10.10!

Stephen Kuhn yank.down.under at gmx.com
Wed Jun 22 19:27:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 18:03 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> [1] You might not like Unity, but should you not give your customers
> their own choice? I mean, I like Unity just fine, myself, & I'm a
> Linux power-user, on Ubuntu since the first release, a Linux user
> since before KDE 1.0 & a Unix user for about 23yr.

I'm the BOFH and they're merely migrated MS Windows users. Choice? No.
It's a "working system that is simple" that they get. End of story. I'm
not going to rant on about anything else, being an IT consultant since
1986.

> [2] You *do* realise that GNOME 2 is end-of-life & is disappearing
> from Ubuntu as of the next version? By 12.04 you won't have the choice
> of removing Unity and "going back" to GNOME 2 - it will be gone
> forever.

(Didn't realise I sound *that* stupid)

Gnome3 will be installed and stripped/ripped of GnomeShell, Unity will
*NOT* be used or even considered for clients. At least it's possible to
tweak Gnome3 to act nearly like Gnome2. This gives me a long term
solution - until at least 2016.

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497