Problem with Ubuntu Natty

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Jun 20 18:54:54 UTC 2011

Javier Revilla wrote:
> Today in the morning my Linux system was perfectly stable. I was
> using the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version. Then, I received a message
> inviting me to upgrade to Ubuntu Natty.

From whom did you get that message? It seems strange because there is no
supported direct path from 10.04 to 11.04 (except a fresh install, but
that's not an upgrade).

> I committed the error to accept. And now I am stuck with an unusable
> machine. I have no access to the graphic mode. So, I have to work in
> text mode. I have tried re-installing the N-vidia drivers but the
> problem remains.

Which Nvidia card do you have? Can you post your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"?
Maybe there is a hint why the driver doesn't start.

> I am really furious at Ubuntu.I trusted them and now I am stuck with
> a useless system. They should not deliver crappy software !
> That is the reason I got away from Windows and embraced Linux.

Perhaps you should blame Nvidia - if you use their driver it isn't open
source but you rely on the support of Nvidia just the same way you did
with Windows. And Nvidia still doesn't support Natty for older cards
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/741930>.

> So, please, help me to get out of this situation.
> I need my machine quite urgently.

If it is really urgent, you might consider paid support from Canonical.
Other than that, you could do a fresh install of 10.04 to return to your
previous system. You can keep your home directory if you select manual
partitioning and select to not format the partition. Probably you know
already that you should backup your valuable data first.

Nils