[OT] why isn't bikeshed good enough as a sounder replacement?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 19:17:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 11:45 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 09:38:26AM -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>
>          .........snip.........
> >
> > I think we've been led to believe that the,"entire Ubuntu membership,"
> > includes each and every one of us.  Where's my ballot?  Where /have
> > been/ my ballots in the past?  How about voting notification?
> >
> > Again, community/Community.
>
> You may not remember, but Mark the Magnificent has already said "this is
> not a democracy". You're also forgetting about the Golden Rule:
>
> He who has the gold makes the rules

To a point, you are 100% correct. It is a meritocracy. But, one who has
the gold may not be able to exchange it for a carrot, if the farmer will
not accept it, since he can't eat it. So, there is a certain amount of
good will exchange that we value the same currency, that being the
Ubuntu distribution.

I have a stake in that, but not Mark's gold, while acknowledging that it
is his gold that makes it happen. I just happen to place a higher sense
of worth on this distribution. For that, I honor his stake. But, all the
gold in the world does not make Ubuntu happen. It's the developers, and
even the users, who do as well. The gold enables us. to a point. But
it's not the love of gold that makes this happen. Uncle Mark has written
many times on this topic of community. He enabled it, but he didn't
"buy" it or us. My two-cents, Ric

Linux user# 44256