under newer hand-rolled kernel, sound has gone away on ubuntu 11.04

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 01:33:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 21:22 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> On 06/16/2011 07:16 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >    i'm open to suggestions.  clearly, it's a very bad thing that
> > there's nothing listed under sound hardware, but i don't know how to
> > reconfigure to get it back.  thoughts?
> >
> > rday
> >

> Just a few random thoughts, no real knowledge.
>
> The proc would seem to indicate that everything seems to be working
> module wise, and this might be some kind of permissions problem.
>
> Try running alsamixer as root in a console and see if you can get some
> sound to play as root.
>
> If it works as root, have a look as the ownership and permissions of
> your sound devices in /dev.  Don't forget to install and use getfacl to
> get all the permissions (ACL's are used on /dev nodes.)
>
> If sound still doesn't work as root, I would next check to make sure
> your system is really restarting.   My debian system at one time got the
> kexec-tools package installed, which changed the behavior of
> restart/reboot command to load a new kernel without actually rebooting
> the hardware.  Sound modules didn't like that at all.

This might be way out there, but check /etc/group
Look and see if you have these entries:
audio:x:29:pulse,timidity
pulse:x:115:
pulse-access:x:116:
timidity:x:123:

Of course if you don't have timidity install, ignore the timidity bits.
It's a little thing but, without permissions, pulse doesn't run. Trouble
shooting with a shotgun, Ric

Linux user# 44256