natty server, resolv.conf issues

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Thu Jun 16 16:59:32 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I've installed natty server and the resolvconf package on a machine.

All's well with my static IP assignment, including an alias for eth0
using /etc/network/interfaces

Because I've installed the resolvconf package, that file includes a line
under eth0 like this:

dns-nameservers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy xxx.xxx.xxx.zzz

restarting networking with '/etc/init.d/networking restart' does the
trick and the name servers are listed in /etc/resolv.conf

The problem is when I reboot the box, /etc/resolv.conf only has the
dynamically generated headers, no nameservers.  Manually restarting
networking does the trick again and the nameservers are then listed.

Any suggestions (other than scripting a network restart or adding it to
rc.local)?

Thanks in advance,
-Ray

--