Unity Main Menu?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:32:05 UTC 2011

On 14 June 2011 17:20, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 14 June 2011 17:08, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
>> On 14 June 2011 16:44, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a simple question: where is the main menu?
>>
>> We don't have a "main menu" in the same way that 10.10 did. To get to
>> applications click the "Applications" button in the launcher.
>>
>> Alternatively long press on Applications button in launcher to see a
>> list of categories that match the ones you may have seen in the old
>> style main menu.
>>
>> You can type in the box that appears to find applications, system or
>> preference items you're looking for.
>
> Also you will find the system and preferences stuff in the 'Control
> Centre' access via System Settings at the bottom of the Logout, Shut
> Down etc dropdown menu in the top right hand corner.  (Why does it say
> System Settings and not Control Centre I wonder).

Also again if you know the name of what you want (say update manager
for example) hit the windows key and start typing the name.  For
update manager after you have typed upd then it will be the first app
shown and you can immediately hit enter to run it.  This is one of the
things I like about Unity.  Win key followed by upd and enter is much
quicker that System > Administration > Update Manager.  Also for
normal apps if you know the name this is much quicker than trying to
remember where an app is, so for Brasero for example use Win key bra
rather than having to remember that it is in Sound and Video under
Applications as it was in the Classic interface (I think that is where
it was anyway).

Colin