Problems Printing to Network Printers

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 14 12:42:24 UTC 2011

Folks,

I have printers physically attached to two separate systems each printer works.
I networked the printer from the other systems on my wired network they each
print as expected. However, when I configured them as network printers on a
system on my wireless subnet they show as network printers but fail to accept
print requests.

I get a weird pop-up box message requesting a password for user root, any
information entered in the entry window shows as CLEAR TEXT and is declared as
invalid. There is no option to change the user as it is hard coded in the pop-up
box. Nothing prints, however, there is an entry in the print queue.

Which physical system(s) is at fault?

What do I need to correct that will enable the wireless system to print?

All systems are running 10.04-2 and both printers are flagged as shared and were
setup using the CUPS Printer Configuration method (System> Administration>
Printing> Add  (either attached or as networked, as required).

Ideas please...

Thanks,
Jay
--