rsyslogd not handling news.* correctly since upgrading to natty?

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Tue Jun 14 11:48:13 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-13, Adam Funk wrote:

> Since I upgraded to natty last week, I've been getting nothing in the
> /var/log/news/news.* files.  My modifications to
> /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf are as follows:
>
> change
> *.*;auth,authpriv.none		-/var/log/syslog
> *.*;auth,authpriv.none;news.none		-/var/log/syslog
>
> add
> news.info			-/var/log/news/news.info
>
> and they worked in maverick.  I don't see anything in the
> documentation to the effect that they've changed.  Is anyone else
> having similar problems?

After a bit more digging, it turned out to be a permissions
discrepancy.  My /etc/logrotate.d/leafnode file (which covers
/var/log/news/news.crit, news.err, news.notice, & news.info) had the
line "create 644 news news"; changing that to "create 644 syslog news"
and running "chown syslog /var/log/news/*" have fixed the problem.

(I guess something changed in rsyslogd itself between maverick &
natty; it used to be able to write to those files owned by news.)