Preinstall Procedure - Moving to 11.04?

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Mon Jun 13 17:35:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 19:15, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com> wrote:

> Give each user a backup stick, encrypt it too, you can use the same
> encryption you use for your hard drive for a USB stick, there is more
> you could probably do but it could possibly break integrity.  Either way
> you can encrypt it with two different keys and still have the same
> passphrase to unlock the key.
>
> If my interpretation of your statement is right: Encrypting home and not
> encrypting a backup is a waste, you might as well just not encrypt
> because eventually your adversary probably will find out where the
> unencrypted data is.

This isn't what I was asking, although I see the reason for the confusion:

My question was about the pre-re-installation phase of copying the contents
of my encrypted home partition to a stick before re-partitioning, then copy
it back to my home partition after re-installing. I realize the files I copy
to the stick are not encrypted, but the won't stay there for long. I'll
re-format the stick after I put them back on my netbook.

Now I have the following partitions:

/
/home (encryted)
/swap
/Data (with all my data)

The swap file is a good idea. I was thinking - the /etc and /usr folders
contain configuration information that will be left un-encrypted. That is
why I wanted to separate the /boot partition and encrypt all the rest.

My netbook has a single 1600GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM.

I'd like to move my now-not-encrypted /Data contents as a sub-folder in my
to-be-encrypted /home folder.

How do I setup a swap file (during installation? post installation?) under
my home folder? I remember the Disk Utility complains if I do not create a
swap partition during installation...

Thanks!

Amichai