wireless connection issue

G. pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 05:43:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 12 June 2011 22:05, G. <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Quick reply:  I did everything by cable.  I can only connect on ubuntu
>> with the cable.
>
> I think some confusion has arisen from your comment in your original
> post that "I have a list that comes up in this flat that i show I
> connect to but can not seem to actually go anywhere" which suggests
> that you are able to connect but then cannot get out onto the
> internet.  Hence the requests for further information, which were
> intended to be performed while connected to the wifi.  Can you clarify
> the situation by describing what happens when you try to connect?
>
> Colin

The other networks are secured as evidenced by the lock icon on
network manager.  In these cases Network Manager pops up asking for a
key.  In other cases, where there is no lock icon, you are taken to a
sign in page on Firefox.  Let's say I connect using Orange.  I am
taken to Orange's sign in page.  Never having visited that page before
I am sure I am connected to the router.  Since I have no key I stop
there.  So I can not connect to the internet with any of the networks
available in this apartment beyond a sign in page.

Sorry for the confusion.  I hope this clarifies matters.

The wifi was working just fine a few days ago in our other flat so I
am sure there is a connection issue with this particular router.  I
have found some issues relating to freebox routers and linux on some
French sites.  My French is not too good so I can't quite understand
what's going on.

I just removed the Cable.  Network Manager says I am connected to Orange:

$ route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
172.29.249.40   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.248 U     2      0        0 wlan0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 wlan0
0.0.0.0         172.29.249.41   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan0

peg at pegubuntu:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain orange-hotspot.com
search orange-hotspot.com
nameserver 80.10.46.232