Brief thoughts on Unity

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 13 01:47:48 UTC 2011

On 13/06/11 06:50, Ernest Doub wrote:

> At this point I have to throw my $1US (the current amount required to
> buy what 2 centsUS used to purchase) into the Unity discussion.
> It is /not/ user friendly for those of us with manipulative
> disabilities.  Multi-key shortcuts are great if you have young supple
> hands.  If you are older and have arthritic hands, or as in my case,
> have both wrist and shoulder injuries limiting mobility of these
> joints (thanks to a trucking accident caused by a drunk driver) it
> doesn't work as well as the previous release.

You may be a lot happier with GNOME3.

Here is what my desktop normally looks like:

http://picpaste.com/Gnome3-1A-PudgvJLt.jpg

And here is what it looks like when I am about to run something:

http://picpaste.com/Gnome3-2A-eP9UEyIv.jpg

This screen you get by simply pushing the cursor into the extreme
top-left corner of the screen.

The "favourites" bar on the left adjusts for both size and icon size as
you grab and drag new favourites into it - and you can reposition them
where you want them.

On the right hand side you will see a portion of "bar" which contains
any running apps. you may have - and you switch between them by clicking
on the app. which will then appear on you main screen in 3/4 size; click
on this and it expands to fill the full screen.

If you want to try out Gnome3 go here and download the *LIVE* version of
openSUSE 11.4 with Gnome3. There is also a Fedora 32-bit version but as
I use the openSUSE version and if you may want some help then I would be
able to help if we are talking same OS. Grab the LIVE version here:

http://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/

Now, while this is a CD the data is just a bit too big for a normal CD
so to save hassles burn it to a 4.7GB *DVD* unless you want to fool
around over-burning the CD.

BTW, I have mine installed, and been running it now for a week. If you
want to install it, the installation is not done from the menu when you
boot the CD/DVD as is the usual practice. If you decide to install it
the installer is in: YaST>Live-Installer.

BC

--
"Revenge is a dish best served cold."
                Old Klingon Proverb